The City of Buffalo offers income-based funding towards emergency home repairs that affect the occupant’s quality of life, such as a leaky roof or faulty electrical services.
Emergency Assistance Program
Does your home have a repair that requires immediate attention? The City of Buffalo offers eligible homeowners emergency repairs in the form of full conditional grants, partial conditional grants and no interest loans in order to address an emergency condition in their home. HOCN is able to assist Ellicott and Niagara Council District homeowners with applications. If you live in a different Council District, please contact our office to be referred to the organization that can assist you.
What qualifies as an Emergency Repair?
Emergency home repairs are limited to leaking/ deteriorated roof (includes gutters and chimney,) sewer line break, main water supply line break, inoperable heating system, inoperable hot water tank, electrical panel hazard, water meter connection issue, or gas line hazard. Applications to the Emergency Repair Program can only address one emergency item.
Are you eligible for assistance?
- Do you need repair to just one of the eligible emergency repair items listed above?
- Have you owned (name listed on deed) and lived in your home for at least 12 months?
- Is your home a single or double family home that was not built by or using the City of Buffalo or Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency funding?
- Are you up to date on (or on a certified payment plan) all of your taxes, obligations, and fees?
- Does your annual, gross household income and asset value fall below the required income limits defined by HUD? (Please call our office for household income limit information)
If you can answer ‘YES’ to all of these questions, you may be eligible for assistance!
How can you apply?
Spaces are limited and applications are taken on a first-come, first-served basis, as available.
Applicants will be required to submit supporting documentation to verify eligibility for the program. For more information, please contact our office at (716) 882-7661.
*Household Size / Household Income Limit (80% of AMI)
*These income guidelines are based on 2019 numbers and are subject to change.
This website was produced in part with the assistance of the City of Buffalo/ City of Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency through the Community Development Block Grant and/or HOME Program(s).
Download our Emergency Program Interest Packet by clicking here.